New Christmas traditions are being adopted quickly in American households. However, keeping old traditions going in your family will always make your holiday more fun. Therefore, if you are looking to start some holiday traditions with your family, here’s 12 Christmas Traditions Your Kids Will Never Forget.
- Turn on some Christmas music and decorate the Christmas tree as a family. There’s nothing better than Christmas music, hot chocolate and decorating the Christmas tree to really get into the holiday spirit!
2. Before decorating your Christmas tree, get the family together and craft some ornaments to add to the tree. What’s better than a Christmas day craft, right?! Don’t forget to put the year on your handmade ornaments for keepsakes to cherish for years to come.
3. Get everyone together to bake (and eat) your favourite Christmas cookies.
4. Decorate gingerbread houses. Every kid loves to decorate their very own gingerbread house with frosting and candy.
5. Drive around for a Christmas lights tour. Is there an area where you live that’s known for their spectacular holiday lights display? If so, get the family in the car and tour the Christmas lights.
6. Schedule a Christmas movie marathon. Get the family together on a Saturday night for a fun Christmas movie marathon. Serve hot chocolate, popcorn, Christmas cookies, etc. and grab your pillows and blankets for a movie marathon your kids will never forget!
7. Plan a Santa breakfast. The kids will love this! On Christmas Eve morning, surprise the kids with a fun Santa breakfast, complete with green Christmas tree waffles, Rudolph pancakes, Grinch fruit kabobs, and more!
8. Participate in a holiday themed run. There are numerous holiday themed runs scheduled throughout the Chicago Metropolitan area. One of our favorites is December 7th this year (2019). The Rotary Santa Run/Walk offers both 5K chip timed competitive options as well as walks for both 5K and 1 mile distances along with a Reindeer Run for the kiddos. For more info visit www.rotarysantarun.org. Medals are included and you can purchase some cool swag to go with your race day goody bag.
9. Make reindeer food for Christmas Eve. On Christmas Eve, we always go outside and sprinkle reindeer food for Santa’s reindeer. This is a fun tradition my son loves and looks forward to every year!
10. Play Christmas minute to win it games. Have a fun family game night – Christmas style! There are so many fun minute to win it games the whole family will enjoy!
11. Take your annual family Christmas photo in front of the tree with matching holiday pajamas or holiday attire. Are you that family who loves to wear matching holiday pajamas for Christmas?! Why not make it a tradition and take your holiday photos in front of your Christmas tree every year?!
12. Sing Christmas carols at a nursing home. It’s wonderful to show kids how to donate their time and talents during the holidays like singing Christmas carols at a nursing home. Some of these residents may be lonely for the holidays and could really use some holiday cheer! Seeing their faces light up as you sing Christmas carols is such a heart-warming tradition the whole family can do together.